Battling Holiday Depression and Stress
Holiday-related stress and depression can cause headaches, excessive alcohol consumption, overeating and insomnia.
To combat these side effects, it is best to identify the cause of your stress and then take steps to rectify them. Consider the following suggestions:
- Do not feel as though you MUST meet all family obligations.
- Ask others for assistance in hosting gatherings, purchasing presents, etc.
- Make a list of priorities in chronological order so you do not become too overwhelmed.
- Consider volunteering to help others, especially if you are feeling lonely.
- Stay active and continue to exercise and eat healthy.
- Do not overspend. Keep tabs on your holiday budget and stick to it.