Health benefits of watermelon:
- Watermelon contains lycopene, the cancer-fighting nutrient also found in tomatoes.
- Watermelon contains a compound linked with helping the skin heal and regenerate.
- There are 50 calories and 141 grams of water in every cup, so it’s low in calories and will keep you hydrated on a hot day.
With so many tasty recipes using watermelon, you and your family can enjoy salads, smoothies and slices all summer long.
Try this recipe for your next backyard BBQ or family dinner, courtesy of Cooking Light magazine:
Watermelon-and-kiwi Skewers with Starry Strawberry Cream
- ¾ cup sliced strawberries
- ½ cup vanilla non-fat yogurt
- 1 tbsp. low-fat cream cheese
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp. powdered sugar
- 24 watermelon balls (½-inch)
- 2 kiwi fruit, peeled and cut into 12 pieces
- Place first 5 ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Cover and chill.
- Thread one watermelon piece and one kiwi fruit piece onto each of the 24 skewers.
- Serve with dipping sauce.
Recipe yields 8 servings (serving size = 3 skewers and 2 tablespoons of sauce). One serving = 40 calories.